12.23.2008

Martini and Rossi

Well this isn't the first time Jaclyn Smith tried to get me drunk on cheap wine. Seems to me like putting ice in wine is the sort of thing the uncultured do. They might also add a bit of Sprite to give it some zest. Say yes.




Orson freakin' Welles was selling wine later in his career. If you lived during the 70s you saw this or its like a great many times. It bothers me greatly that Welles scared the hell out of the US with his amazing War of the Worlds broadcast, got complete creative control of his first film Citizen Kane, by far one of the best films ever, and finished up his career with a voice role in Transformers: The Movie (not the Michael Bay one, either). I guess it's sort of the Elvis ending. Live an amazing life, then die on the crapper (literally or figuratively).





Who can forget this classic?  It forever cemented a clydesdale/beer connection in so many of us that even now, when I see horses with hairy hooves I just gotta have a beer.  This is back before Spuds Mackenzie stole our hearts and livers.  Before the Bud-Wise-Er frogs... erm... existed.  Before Waaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuuuuuup made us want to tell co-workers to just shut up, okay?


3 comments:

Cary McNeal said...

Excellent flashbacks, my friends. Martini & Rossi, on the rocks. Like it was yesterday. And it was never Christmas until I saw the Clydesdale hoofing through the snow in a Bud commercial and Santa gliding over moguls on his Norelco razor.

Merry Christmas to you both.

Cary McNeal said...

Oh, and poor Orson. He will forever be linked with fish sticks in my mind, not Rosebud or the opening shot of Touch Of Evil, or War of The Worlds. No, fish sticks.

Lefty said...

Thanks for commenting, Cary. Sorry I didn't notice until now. I'm a moron.