9.26.2006

Spiderman - In Color!


At some point in my childhood ('round about 2nd grade c1976) I recall being given the choice between taking Catholic lessons on a Saturday or going to a Catholic School. That was a no-brainer. Spiderman was on Saturdays. Unknowingly I chose Epiphany School and the harsh nazi-style teachings of Sister Mary Esther. Once while leaving to get on my bus, I feigned pulling a fire alarm to a friend. Sister Mary Esther was somehow there in a flash with a vice-like grip on my arm and her stern face inches from mine making sure I knew very well that was not the sort of thing I should be doing. I knew that. It was the lynchpin of my joke. There was that experience and the experience of taking first communion classes from her. She was never my full-time teacher, yet she made more of an impression on me than my actual full-time teachers. I'm sure she's still alive and teaching at Epiphany. You can't kill that kind of evil.

No comments: